It’s officially the end of January, which means all those high hopes of sticking to your New Year’s resolution are slowly starting to dwindle. While we want to keep the high hopes of accomplishing our goals for the new year, some seem to lose sight of their wants as the ever-present “life” starts to ramp up again.
At Me In Order, we want to help you stick to those goals – in all capacities! If your goal is to get organized for the new year, we’ve got you covered and we can help you get back on track, specifically with your files.
Files and paperwork can be stressful if you do not have the right system in place. Here’s how you can set up an effective filing system today:
- If you’re experiencing issues finding and keeping track of your documents, start small. Focus on separating your paperwork into different piles.
- It might look like your office has exploded with paper at first, but as you start categorizing, you’ll be able to get a better idea of all the documents you have.
- Create categories based on broad items such as “Finances”, “Home”, or “Entertainment”. From there, create subcategories, and so on to get more specific.
- Once you have your categories and your piles, create labels for each category.
- Decide on a color-coding system to help to find your items more efficiently.
- Focus on keeping all like-items near each other so that it’s easy to identify each file – i.e., keep banking documents near finances, and keep health documents near insurance, etc.
- Time to fill your drawer! Frontload the documents you use regularly or organize them by the alphabet – do whatever system will work best for you. Remember, this is to help you, so it should be about you!
- Start using the filing system. If you find it hard to file paperwork on-demand, set aside time during the day or during the week to make sure you organize your paperwork into the proper files.
- Review the contents of your files on a monthly or yearly basis. Decide what needs to be tossed or shredded and only keep what matters.
- Enjoy your new system! Find your paperwork when you need it and with ease!
Finding an effective filing system will not only keep you organized in the new year, but it will give you a system that you can use even after the excitement of 2022 fades. Go into this new year clutter-free with the help of Me In Order! Me In Order is here to help you get in order for the new year! If you are interested in learning more about how to hire an expert organizer, check out our Ultimate Guide To Hiring An Expert Organizer, or contact us today!